How to Figure Out the Answer to Every Freelancing Question You’ll Ever Have

Wondering what an editor means when she says X, whether you should break a freelance rule, or whether you should drop that PITA client? Here’s how to figure out what to do. At 3:04, I share my special method for deciding between two different options.

Mar 16, 2014 Advice, Freelance Writing, Motivation

1. Imran Siddiq says:

Thanks for putting this out there, I think this is something all the writers wanted to hear right now

2. Ankita Chandran-Dave says:

Thank you for making this video. I am guilty of flooding the forums with questions whenever I am stuck or confused or just unsure of what to do. This should hold me in good stead in future.

I think, at some level, it might be a sort of an escapist strategy. Not wanting to completely own the decisions I make. It is easier/feels better to say, I was just following what XYZ told me rather than I messed up. Not healthy, should not / will not do it. :-)

3. Lorraine Reguly says:

Your gut will never steer you in the wrong direction. This is SO true, and I’m glad you pointed this out to others.

I’ve heard of this strategy before. In fact, this method was even on an episode of “Friends” long ago! However, not everyone watches TV and it’s great that you are educating others on this methodology. Nice video, too. ;) Bright, clear, and put together cohesively.

4. I SO needed this! I’ve made the mistake of looking for clear cut answers to my freelance writing questions and panicking when I couldn’t find them. I’m also guilty of not trusting my gut enough.

Thanks Linda for this post. Delivering this post by video was very impactful because it was engaging and personal. It really made a difference in how I received and internalized your message.

Awesome post!

• Thank you! I’m so glad you liked the video. I thought I’d try something different — I’m someone who likes to skim through and not watch information, but I know LOTS of people prefer video. I think I’ll be doing more of them in the future.

5. Casey says:

Linda, I love the idea of mentally trying out your options and then listening to your own intuition, at work and off the clock.

I find it also helps me to remember that the fate of the universe doesn’t hang on every decision I make–even the decisions relating to work. Otherwise it’s easy for me to get so focused on a situation that I lose context and start to stress out.

6. Holly Bowne says:

Great stuff, Linda. I always apply the “follow your gut” rule in life and with parenting, but never thought about applying it to my freelancing questions.

P.S. I saw that “Friends” episode! (Actually, I’ve seen all the “Friends” episodes. Man, I love that show! Ha, ha!)

7. Donn King says:

Thanks, Linda! Good balanced response about going with your gut vs. asking others. I do ask other writers, but mainly in pursuit of figuring out the gut reaction.

I wanted to share a method I use for getting at the gut reaction, since sometimes I can’t even manage the “pick one at random” method directly. I’ll flip a coin! But not for making the decision; rather, I flip the coin, then gauge my reaction. There’s no law that says you have to follow the decision of the coin (except, perhaps, in certain jurisdictions, so check first [smile]).

8. Dara Holland says:

Linda, I really enjoyed this video. The info was so validating and your always warm delivery (I’ve heard you a lot via the Den and the visual just adds to your friendly appeal) makes a short “lesson” like this helpful and uplifting.

So, thanks for trying something different. And yes, please trust that gut feeling *grin* to do more such videos in the future!

9. Sarah Yoon says:

Developing intuition seems to go hand in hand with a freedom to make mistakes along the way. I definitely know the anxiety, so it’s nice to be reminded that just going with my gut is part of my ‘training’ so to speak! Thanks for sharing :)

• Yes! That’s something I always preach: You WILL make mistakes but that’s normal and not a bad thing. It’s better to go with your gut and make the occasional mistake than always be second-guessing what you should do.

10. Brian says:

Hi Linda,

I’m new to all this, but one issue I’d like to ask is about editors. Is there an Editor “Speak” that we need to know, so that we can interact with them intelligently when revising submitted articles? Do you have a glossary of terms and symbols that we can refer to? And let me apologize in advance, if this has already been addressed. Thanks!