If you want to write but feel you’re too old, too young, too tired, too busy, too uneducated, too broke, or too boring…listen up: It’s time to stop whining and start writing!
Linda Formichelli and Diana Burrell have taught and coached thousands of writers during their 20-year journalism careers—and they’ve heard every excuse out there on why writers aren’t completing their novels, writing their poetry, self-publishing their books, or pitching magazines and copywriting clients.
In Whine Less, Write More: The No-Excuses Guide to Getting Your Butt in the Chair, Your Head Out of the Clouds & Your Words onto Paper, you’ll recognize the dozens of excuses you use when you think about writing, such as:
- “I’m afraid I’ll never be as good as [insert famous writer’s name].”
- “I don’t know where to start.”
- “I don’t have time to write.”
- “I’m too young/too old; no one will take me seriously.”
- “I can only write when it’s quiet.”
- “You can’t make a good living as a writer.”
- “I don’t have a good place to write.”
- “I’m waiting for inspiration to strike.”
Formichelli and Burrell methodically dismantle over 40 commonly used excuses that writers tend to use to avoid writing, and provide actionable tips and strategies that can transform you from an underachieving dreamer to a productive, no-excuses-required author, writer or poet.